Is this you on your day off?
* I pick up dry cleaning.
* I get an oil change.
* I go to the grocery store.
* I clean my house.
We all need to do errands, household chores, and maintenance on our days off. But I think you’ll find if that’s all you’re doing on your day off, you’ll be dragging into work on Monday. Don’t leave yourself off that list. Sometimes doing something just for you will shift that focus off of your work life, help you refocus and recharge.
Here are some ways to recharge your batteries on your day off…
1. Put down those electronic devices. Don’t glare at me, just do it. One of my previous posts, “How to Disconnect During Downtime” addressed how important it is to get your brain out of “connectivity” mode. Pick up a magazine, book or do a crossword puzzle.
2. Cook something. Even if most things in your kitchen scare you, you can still make a phenomenal grilled cheese sandwich. Butter, bread, cheese, skillet…Cooking can be a form of meditation.
3. Take your dog to the dog park. He sits and waits for you every day to get home from work. Make his day special; it doesn’t take much.
4. Watch some idiotic comedy movies. I like to think I have a sophisticated sense of humor, but I liked “Super Troopers.” Yeah, I know.
5. Take up a weekend recreational sport that isn’t too competitive or demanding.
6. Socialize. If your friends also happen to be co-workers, be sure to have a moratorium on talking shop.
7. Pamper yourself. Most of us neglect self-care or put it on the bottom of the list. Get a manicure. (Yes, guys, you can do it, too.)
8. Put in extra time at the gym if that’s your thing. I used to love running. Why did I stop?
9. Start a hobby or take lessons to learn guitar, to paint or cook (See 2.)
10. Get some sleep. “They” used to say that you can’t catch up on lost sleep. They’ve never seen me and the cat do a nap marathon.
This is a post by Nancy LaFever.