I’ve worked for enough large organizations to see first hand how office politics and bureaucracy can kill creativity in its tracks.
Only a sick and demented person would want to suck the color out of a rainbow, yet employers are doing it every single day.
Today’s post is short and sweet; surefire ways that bosses kill employee creativity:
– Add as many steps to the approval process as possible.
– Have everyone and their mother, irrespective of skill and experience, critique a project.
– Do not give praise and/or credit for a concept, idea, or completed project.
– Make changes for the sake of making changes (see comic below)
– Hold long meetings
– Require incessant status reports
– Reward longevity instead of ideas and measured success
– Rush every project
– Be inconsistent with your requirements